Monday, April 14, 2008

Punx not dead

Inspired by Keefieboy's recent post about seventies music, I remembered how I thought that the punk rock phenomenon has passed me by. But maybe I wasn't so unscathed.

It was the summer of the Queen's Golden Jubilee.

I was boating on the Thames with my friend, LawfulGoodofCowplain. We moored up in order to go for a pub lunch when a Thames ferry went past. This was of itself not an uncommon occurrence.

What makes it remarkable is that there was a live band on board that was playing Sex Pistols numbers to the seething mass of middle-aged punk rockers on board. Presumably the boat had been chartered specially as a Golden Jubilee celebration by people who could have been old enough and wise enough to know better.

LGoC's small children asked, "How come, Daddy, that both you and Uncle Goat know all the words?"

]}:-{>

5 comments:

dubaibilly said...

Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings...

Thank you GG for making me smile - lovely story.

Keef said...

Eeh, t'good old days, eh?

Dubai Jazz said...

Excuse my intrusion but wasn't this the same incident where Richard Branson was riding with them on the boat and then it eventually got cornered by the police?

'god save the queen' the song was, me thinks…

I read about it in Branson's autobiography…

Grumpy Goat said...

It was the Silver Jubilee in 1977 when the police raided the Sex Pistols' boat.

A youngish Richard Branson

My incident was 25 years later.

Jayne said...

Years ago, my son used to physically cringe when we listened to music by Bob Dylan. We told him one day, he'd appreciate such music. I'm pleased to say he loves Dylans music nowadays :-)

 

The opinions expressed in this weblog are the works of the Grumpy Goat, and are not necessarily the opinions shared by any person or organisation who may be referenced. Come to that, the opinions may not even be those of the Grumpy Goat, who could just be playing Devil's Advocate. Some posts may be of parody or satyrical [sic] nature. Nothing herein should be taken too seriously. The Grumpy Goat would prefer that offensive language or opinions not be posted in the comments. Offensive comments may be subject to deletion at the Grumpy Goat's sole discretion. The Grumpy Goat is not responsible for the content of other blogs or websites that are linked from this weblog. No goats were harmed in the making of this blog. Any resemblance to individuals or organisations mentioned herein and those that actually exist may or may not be intentional. May contain nuts.